Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #708
From: Chris Bitmead <ChrisB@ThePla.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 19:07:26 +1100

>With my Noctilux I learn that the upper left corner has more vignetting
>than the right side, so I'm extremely aware of that fact when doing my
>composition.  The upper corners shows the vignetting and up to the point
>where they are black.  Erwin was right in his comments, you will see the
>difference up to three stops.

How far do you have to stop down to bring the light falloff within
reasonable bounds? f1.4? f2? I guess reasonable bounds is
debatable. Lets say within 1 stop.

>But don't be discourage by these facts, that is the nature of the
>beast.  The quality of the image and the use of an extremely plane of
>focus selection that you have available with that lens is unique.
>There is a unique quality to the images that you produce with the
>Noctilux.

Is this unique quality simply the big aperture or is it something
about this particular lens. I guess what I'm asking is whether this
unique quality that I have heard about is what you see at f1.0 only,
or is it something about this lens that is visible throughout the
aperture ranges?