Subject: RE: Hokum & Bokeh
From: "Garbutt, Robert" <RGarbutt@ncrpexec.telstra.com.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 08:04:00 +1000

I'll add my voice to the "Its the photographer not the equipment"
sentiment.  I agree wholeheartedly.

But I can also say that when I got seriously into photography early this
year and swapped my well worn Ricoh and Tamron f/3.6 zoom for an FM2 and
a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF my life *did* change - for the better.   And when
I picked up my trusty Nettar at a market for $15 and discovered the
glorious symmetry of the square and that there is more to life than
image sharpness -  again a surge in creative opportunity.

If something similar doesn't happen when I get my M6, 90 Elmarit and
50/2 DR I will be disappointed.  I don't expect it to do the work for
me, but I do expect the performance of my equipment to complement my
creative urges. Photography is a creative pursuit but it is also a
percentage game.  If I can increase my odds of a nice image, I'll
consider parting with some serious cash.

I was at a wedding on Saturday, clunking away with my FM2 and 85/1.8,
and  was thinking how much less self-conscious I am as a photographer
with my Nettar because it is so quiet and is a camera on a human scale
(as opposed to an anti-tank weapon).  Unfortunately the light was too
low to use the Nettar successfully.  Maybe if I had an M6 there, I would
have taken more opportunities without annoying the hell out of people,
and so still feeling one of the crowd.  I have some nice images
(especially with TMZ - no flash also helps blend with the crowd) so I'm
not complaining.  But if you forced me to go back to the Tamron zoom I'd
complain like a wounded bull.

Regards,
Rob.

PS -  Is it because of dimensional stability problems that Kodak doesn't
make TMZ in 120 format?