Subject: Re: Test of Leica (and other) slide projectors
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 13:54:38 -0800

At 02:02 PM 10/27/97 +0100, you wrote:

>- Kindermann Diafocus AF (AFS8001): ***, **, **
>- Kindermann Diafocus 250 AF (AFS8004): ***, **, ***
>- Kindermann Silent 1500: ***, **, **
>- Kindermann Silent 2500: ***, **, **
>- Kodak Ektapro 1500: *****, ***, ***** (recommended buy *****)
>- Leica Pradovit P150: ****, ***, ***** (recommended buy *****)
>- Leica Pradovit P300: ****, ***, ***
>- Leica Pradovit P600 IR: *****, *****, ***** (recommended buy *****)
>- Leica Pradovit P2002: *****, *****, **** (recommended buy ****)
>- Rollei Twin MSC 300P: *****, ****, ***** (recommended buy *****)
>- Rollei Rolleivision 66 dual P: *****, ****, ***
>
>Among the things that were tested: autofocus (speed and stability),
>precision of the slide mechanism, speed of slide changes, pop-up effect,
>temperature, luminosity and light repartition.

This is good information, however it does not address the robustness of the
projector. It may look mechanically sound (as I would expect a Leica
product to look) and project beautifully, and get the tester to say "great
projector." But the proof of the pudding is in "how long will it perform"
without requiring substantial or repeated repairs. Only users (like the
people on this list) can really give an objective viewpoint.

>I gave it back to the camera shop and they sent it to their own
>repairservice (not to Leica). I got it back a few days later. They had to
>install a new motor as the AF motor was "used up" (according to the
>repairmen).

>      I do have the same problem on mine for quite a while.  I used it just
>     once a month or so and about one year ago, the autofocus function
>     stopped.  I did not sent it for repair.  I still use it manually one
>     slide at a time.

Seems to me like if a person really likes/wants the P150, he/she should buy
two. That way you have one to use while the other is in the shop.

Jim