Subject: Re: Leica R questions
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 12:35:53

At 01:10 PM 20/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
>     OK, another day at the soccer pitch has convinced me that a 135mm
>     simply isn't long enough (the first field day I haven't had to coach a
>     game in a while), and She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed has given the green light
>     to at least look at a SLR (gasp, 25 years with nothing but my M3, last
>     SLR was a Nikon F with Photomic head). She's holding out for a Nikon
>     AF, but used R3s and R4s seem to be about the same $$ as Leicaflex
>     SL2, so would anybody care to compare the R3 and R4 to its later
>     brethren?  I would be using the camera almost solely for shooting
>     soccer from the sidelines outdoors, so exotic flash features and stuff
>     like that are not factors (besides, I *love* my M3 with a Canon
>     50/f1.2 for "available darkness" candids of the family and a Summicron
>     for everything else).  The season is almost over, so I'll have all
>     winter to search out a good one.  Thanx in advance!

Look for an R5 or later.  By then all bugs were worked out. The R3 (at
least the one I had) had minor shutter/meter problems, and the R4's are
reputed to be not any better, though the R4s Mod II's are supposed to be
just fine.

Bargains are around.  I got my R5 body (excellent condition) for Cdn$1000
(about US$720 if I have my exchange right).

Enjoy!