Subject: Re: M6 for Portraits
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 19:25:43 -0400

At 03:39 PM 10/21/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Tina,
>
>>> (M6) fast to take the pictures, enough fast for children ? Or is an
>>>AF-SLR the much
>>>better choice ?
>
>>Uli:  I use the M6 for informal portraits of children all the time. I like
>>the 75, 1.4 lens for portraits.
>
>I'm amazed that you feel comfortable using the 75 on the M6 for moving
>kids. Are you shooting at 1.4? I used to own a 50 'lux and positively
>couldn't focus moving kids with the thing. The DOF was shallow at distances
>close enough to fill the frame and, since both speed and focus accuracy
>were important, I found my composition forced, by the RF patch, into a
>centered framing. How do you trust it?

Danny, I only use it wide open in low light when the kids are still.  Dimly
lit rooms and contemplative kids seem to go together.  In the bright light
outside when they're moving around, I can stop down and use hyperfocal
focusing.  It's a great lens for people.  I used to use my Minolta, 85/1.4
almost exclusively for portraits; but since I have learned to use the
Leica, the Minolta is gathering dust.  Tina