Subject: Re: SM-to-M Adaptors
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 07:50:49 -0700

> >Does the purpose of a SM-to-M ring includes something
> >other than (1) adding some distance to flange back and (2)
> >bringing up a correct frames?

From a 1953 Perspective:

1) Increasing sales volume by selling selling an incredible amount of
adapters

2) Eventually ensuring the success of the M line once lenses were made
primarily in M mount.  Initially,  a lot of photogs did not like the
larger size of the M's.  If Leica had continued to produce screw mount
lenses with M adapters, it probably would have decreased M body
sales--since that would have allowed the use of the latest improved
lenses on the older Screw mount bodies.  As Leica bettered its optics in
the 60's with lenses which were not available in S mount, photogs were
forced to move to the M platform to take advantage of the better lenses.

3) allowing precise coupling of the RF lens cam to the camera.  If the
adapter rotates a bit too far one way or the other, the RF cam alignment
and coupling will be affected.

From a 1997 Perspective:

Used, these neat little adapters allows another important profit center
for used camera dealers, like Marvin and myself.  Somehow I find myself
liking these adapters more and more with each one I sell.

Regards,

Stephen Gandy