Subject: Usenet hell and the Leica CL
From: dannyg1@IDT.NET (Danny Gonzalez)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 22:45:51 -0400 (EDT)

Roger,

> Why do you leave out the numerous
>cases where you have become involved in full blown flame wars there?

>Believe me, there's a huge difference in venues!

It is true that I've found way-far, many more insulting people out on
Usenet, especially as compared with the LUG, where there really aren't any
really insulting one-uppers (Though I've got to say both Alf and Oddmund
and possibly MJS may feel otherwise).

That said, I have found a number of places that are far worse than Usenet:
Both Compuserve and Photo News Network (Just ask Jim Brick) were truly
hurtful in their venomous; defamous deeds, group denigration of individual
views and ignorance of any but the status quo/accepted viewpoint.

My test was done only to evaluate the quality of available information (in
this particular case) and so, yes, it is worth stating (loudly and clearly)
that Usenet isn't for the faint of heart. It is though, a valuable forum
where good info is readily available. At least I feel that way.

The LUG, BTW, is also a great source of info and a far better place to
study Leica minutae. Noise level to noise level, offtopic (and silly)
discussions seem just as common to both.

Regards,
Danny Gonzalez