Subject: Re: 50 M lens choices??
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 19:09:48 -0400

At 05:10 PM 10/18/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Given the choice between a Canon 50/1.4, a Nikon 50 1.4 and the 50/1.5
>Jupiter (am I missing any?); which would you say is best?
>
>Qualify that. I'm looking for the high contrast, great sharpness ad minimal
>distortion of my Contax SLR  50/1.4.

The Nikon 1.4/50 RF lens IS the same formula as the Zeiss lens:  they stole
it, just like the Russians did, but without the argument that they had won
a war.  Thus, Nikon and Jupiter should perform identically, given that the
current Jupiters will be multi-coated and the Nikons will not.

Any of these three are fine lenses.  The difference is the price:  the
Nikon and Canon RF lenses will now run $300 or more, while the Jupiters are
available for a cee-note -- and they are twenty-five years or more newer!

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!
FAX:  +540/343-7315