Subject: Re: Pretenders to the Throne
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:51:52 -0500

At 11:18 PM 10/15/97 -0700, you wrote:

>The best of both worlds would be R lenses in AF mount on the Canon 1n or
>the Nikon F5. =A0Then I wouldn't be bitching and the gushes of praise for
>the R system would be justified.

Well, I'm sure Leica would be delighted to receive your letter explaining
to them how they can maintain their sturdy lens mechanism and not
compromise alignment with loose plastic parts inside those lenses. That way
they can put AF in their lenses without compromise. I'm convinced they're
ready to do the AF jump when this problem is solved.

Contax solved it (objecting to current AF techniques my others use for the
same reasons as Leica) by building the Contax AX - the camera inside a
camera sliding on ceramic rails. Actually, with Leica sitting at the design
table. =20

You are aware Leica has been doing AF research since the 70s? They have a
digital camera? Yep, they're quite the Luddites. :-)

So who knows, maybe Leica AF is just around the corner. But the camera will
be BIG! Just like the AX. What else do we want inside a body? Matrix is
there. Fill flash is there. Quick loading and DX are there. What more is
necessary? In know, faster release of motors and winders. That's the price
of a small company like Leica. It takes more time. I'll take fancy glass
over fancy bodies.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

God is REAL, unless explicitly declared INTEGER.