Subject: Re: What is a Leica
From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:19:05 CDT

Alf,

>>Solm SLRs are
>>>branches grafted onto that tree; and the fruit proves the point.
>>
>>What was the fertilizer??
>

>Diet Coke, maybe ?
>Specially for your R8 (sorry, to hear your bad experiences)!

You are probably right, I'm afraid if you put Diet Coke on plants they
would fall over dead.  (Oh! is this what you meant about the R8??? <gr>)

BTW this reminded me of what happened when I was a young attorney in a
very large law firm in Houston (Fulbright, Crooker, Freeman, Bates and
Jawoski).  There was a dinner honoring old man Crooker, the head ot the
firm. Crooker was a tough old goat and was elderly at the time. (Texas
had changed the method of paying prosecuters - used to pay by the
conviction, but Cooker got so many they had to change the method)

Any way, at the dinner Colonel Bates, also quite elderly and loosing it,
got up to honor Crooker.  As in the above reference to Leica, he referred
to the young firm and how it had grown like a tree and branched out etc,
etc, etc.  He then turn to Mr. Crooker and pointing to him and said: "And
Mr. Crooker is the fertilizer that made it grow!!" Dead silence, then
coughing as the young associates tried to choke down their laughter and
the partners glowered at us trying to see who was the first the laugh out
loud.

One of the outstanding moments of my young life, Colonel Bates had summed
up our feelings about the old man.

If I could have afforded it (I only had a retina I then) I would have
taken a picture of it with my Leica (see it is on subject - and I mean a
real Leica!)

Richard Hemingway
Norman, OK