Subject: holding steady
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 08:59:28 -0700

Marvin wrote:

<<<<<<<I wonder if there is a mirror bounce problem hand held at
1/30 or less or does the human body absorb the vibration>>>>>

Anyone that has had to make a living via photography, or, who has a
competitive target shooting background, knows that your body, if used
properly, can do amazing things, including absorbing SLR vibrations. This
is a learned ability. Heartbeat, breathing, moving into the target/subject,
squeeze release, etc. When learned properly, It works very well.

However, if one has not been exposed to the proper techniques, or learned
the techniques by necessity (empty wallet,) it could seem impossible. Even
people with a nervous disorder can learn techniques to "hold steady".
Practice make perfect.

My R7's are the most dampened SLR's I've ever owned. I suspect the R8 might
be even better. But don't kid yourself that the M cameras are entirely
quiet. Getting the shutter started uses Newton's 1st (I think) law of
motion... "every action produces an equal and opposite reaction". When the
shutter STARTS moving on one direction, the camera will also move in the
opposite direction. This is why in competition air guns, they use double
opposing air pistons. Their opposed motion basically cancels Newton's law.

Jim