Subject: Re: Re-2: Leicas and SLRs from Leitz
From: Alistair_Stewart_at_DF5007@ccmailgw.mcgawpark.baxter.com
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 13:58:18 -0500

- --IMA.Boundary.013558678

     Fresh from the Nikon digest...

     Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 16:34:44 -0400
     From: Michael Hintlian <MichaelHintlian@compuserve.com>
     Subject: M6/50mm f2.0 vs. FM2/50mm f1.8...not

     Alan;

     <<So M6 pictures often have more life in them not because of hardware
     qualities but because of behaviour entailed by some of the hardware
     characteristics. >>

     Ok, so now there is a difference....this is why I challenged your
     statement...there is more to it than MTF charts.  By the way, check
     the o=
     ut
     of focus areas vis a vis the Nikkor 50 vs the Summicron 50 for a real
     loo=
     at one of the big differences.  =

     <<But M6 is really more at ease with a 35mm or 28mm. The rangefinder
     allo=
     ws
     easier focusing with w/a lenses in low light situation: in these
     circumstances the rangefinder does have advantages. Not so from 50mm
     up.>=

     Great, we agree on something <bfg>.  But, again, Alan, respectfully,
     try =
     focus the FM2 in low light with any focal length (not just the wides)
     and=

     the Leica will blow it away.  The M6 and 50mm, 90mm, and 135mm are as
     fas=
     and as accurate focusing as you will find with the added benefit of
     being=

     able to see what is coming into the frame before it gets there.  The
     135
     with the magnifying goggles on an M6 is really remarkable...quick to
     focu=
     and enhanced viewing...and it is a very, very nice lens to boot.
      =

     Don't get me wrong.  I've owned the FM2n and Nikkor lenses and liked
     them=
     lot...solid equipment up to the professional task with nice glass
     (very
     good long glass in particular).  But it and the glass that goes with
     it a=
     re
     not in the same league the Leica.  There is a big difference
     especially
     when you start comparing 16X20's from Tri-X negatives...see for
     yourself.<g>

     Warm regards,

     Michael Hintlian