Subject: Re: R lenses - ground glass screen, etc
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:15:17 -0700

Thanks, Jim, for the studious reply re camera shake with my SL. I was
slinging the camera bag strap over the upturned crank for the tripod post,
so perhaps was not getting the damping effect you describe. Will have to do
more experimenting (or just go back to the Visoflex III with the 280 on an
M body for long exposures).

BTW, I recently bought a copy of David Douglas Duncan's "Self-Portrait,
USA", much of it shot with a then new 400mm (f6.3?) Telyt back at the 1968
presidential primaries (what a perfect fit to have a war correspondent
cover Chicago then!). Just two month's ago, I had a press pass for a local
Promise Keeper's stadium event and was determined to get some of those
Duncan style close-up portraits of the speakers. So I put the shortest R
extension tube on the 280, which gave a full head shot at infinity focus
from about 12 feet away. Bingo! Exceptionally sharp, crisp shots, with
every eyelash and pore defined (as long as the subject did not move out of
the two inch depth of field!). Quite a lens. . .

Gary Todoroff