Subject: Re: Camera Bags (late add on)
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 08:15:40 +0500

At 08:35 AM 97-10-13 -0800, you wrote:
>LUGnuts:
>A few days ago someone asked questions about camera bags and someone
>else suggested several including LowePro.  With keyboard fixed, am
>finally catching up.
>
>So, in honor of being in Hawaii, I will "talk story."

Hello Donal and all,

	So the never ending quest for the perfect camera bag continues!!!!
Coincidentally, this morning I just removed my M's back into my Billingham
f4.5 from a Lowepro backpack (I can't remember which model).  I have a
Lowepro Photo Trekker AW that I picked up to carry my 4x5 gear, but like
you say it is only waterproof when the AW cover is on so I went back to my
Zone VI bag.  The Zone VI bag is much quicker and easier to get things in
and out of but not as easy to carry as the backpack.  I found the Photo
Trekker difficult to use and if you have to open it in bad weather
everything gets wet in the process.

	I changed back to the Billingham from the other backpack because it is
easier to get things in and out of, it is waterproof, it is so old that it
looks like it couldn't possibly contain anything of value and it seems to
suit M's.  The main gripe that I have is that it is not entirely dust
proof.  If it had an internal zipped flap or drawstring it would be
perfect.  Does this new Alice bag have this?

	My quest this summer when I was in the States and Canada was to find the
perfect all round camera bag and I failed.  The backpack, although
comfortable was not easy to get things in and out of and the equipment did
not stay in place if the bag was turned and it was not waterproof.  I also
picked up a Lowepro Off Trail but haven't tried that yet.

	In the end I am back to my Billingham and to make sure that my back
doesn't bother me I will have to remember to change the bag over to the
other shoulder.  If anyone has any experience with the Billingham Alice bag
I would like to hear about.

Ian Stanley

Kathmandu, Nepal