Subject: Latest 50mm Elmar...How good?
From: "Boreham" <boreham@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 07:49:00 +0100

I am thinking of getting one of the new type 50mm Elmars because the small
physical
depth of the lens plus body would mean I would be able to take it anywhere,
anytime, under jacket, in big pockets, in the special leica waist pouch
etc. Two questions:
(1) How good is optically? I can see from the BAS report that its not as
good as the summicron but what's it like in actual use? Has anyone bought
one and regretted it?
(2) How will the barrel of the black version wear? Would it eventually wear
through the black chrome to a metallic base?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Mike