Subject: Re: Summarit BAS Test: not bad/ disagree
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 14:46:04 -0400 (EDT)

Lucien - I have all those lens & have gotten different results:
The Summarit at 1.5 is the softest and Nikkor is also soft
at f:1.4 - but the Summilux is the best, followed by the
the Canon f:1.4 which I believe is the best lens that Canon
ever made.  I have both the Nikkor & Canon in LTM as well
as using them on my Nikon & Canon A-1.

Either the lenses vary a great deal from lens to lens, in which
case you would have to check quite a few to draw any con-
clusions, or the testing methods are open to question (which
I doubt). There is an old saying that the quality of any lens is
dependent on the size of the makers garbage can, which
means the quality of his control & rejection tolerance.

Marvin Moss

<<
 Leitz Summarit 1,5/50 mm(alt) : Optik 8,4 / Mechanik 9,6
 Leica Summilux-M 1,4/50 mm    : Optik 9,2 / Mechanik 9,6

 By comparaison
  Nikkor 1,8/50 mm  : Optik 8,5 / Mechanik 9
 (test date 5/86)
 Nikkor 1,4/50 mm  : Optik 9,8 / Mechanik 9
 (test date 5/88)
 Canon FD 1,4/50 mm: Optik   7 / Mechanik 8
 (test date 11/85)
 Canon EF 1,8/50 mm: Optik   9 / Mechanik 9,4
 (test date 10/87)