Subject: Re: OFF-TOPIC; Blue filter enlarging stuff
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 11:59:37 -0700

At 06:36 PM 10/7/97 +0100, you wrote:
>>>Gene Nocon--a gentleman who runs lab across the street from studio and
>>>has printed for many greats uses a blue filter in his focusing tool    =
=20
>>>Without it he says prints arent truly focused  He showed me print
>>>coparisons and he is right    Probably big factor at wider F stops =20
>>>Apparently this is standard knowleddge among high level lab types   When
>>>I get back into do my own printing I will definitely get the
>>>filter       maybe APO lenses dont need it   I`ll ask when I return
>>>Donal Philby
>
>I've just got the book by Gene Nocon "Photographic printing" and in it he
says;

>"Using the blue filter on the Omega Micro-grain focuser; at this=
 enlargement
>the grain can be seen to be pin sharp on the print. The image projected=
 onto
>the easel will actually appear out of focus after focusing with the blue
>filter, but the print will be sharply focused.
>Without the blue filter on the grain focuser the image appeared to be in
>focus. The resulting print, however, is out of focus."
>
>This suggests to me that it is not a question of using a blue filter to
>increase contrast or reduce brightness, but that the image that appears on
>the paper when printed is formed from predominantly blue light or light=
 that
>is focusing in the same plane as blue light. Otherwise, the image in the
>above description that was focused without the blue filter would be in=
 focus
>when developed!=20
>
>What is not clear is how this applies to VC paper. The answer, or some of
>it, may be in Ctein's Darkroom User article (Darkrrom User, 1996, #1) on=
 the
>best enlarging lenses, where he says;

>Hi Jim, I=B4ve been thinking about the blue filter in grain focusers, dont
>you think that the reason may lie in that the really actinic ligth is
>the blue component of not so white ligth prodycec by the enlarger?, we
>may be focusing wiith the ligth that really matters as far as paper is
>concerned., What do you think?

YOU ARE ALL PROBABLY CORRECT. The #90 that I use really isn't "blue", but
it works for me, perhaps by improving contrast and cutting the bright
enlarger light at f/2.8. I print on Ilfochrome paper so I need all
wavelengths to be in focus. I use an APO lens, which, hopefully, can focus
all wavelengths at the same point. But my grain focusser neither has an APO
eyepiece nor an APO mirror!  I have no scientific proof that any of this
makes any difference, just experience. My prints are sharp. Go figure...

Jim