Subject: Re: M6 versus M3
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 18:51:27 -0400

> While I realize that none of you guys can tell me if it would be worth it
> for me,  the experience of any one who has moved from an earlier M to the
> M6 might be helpful.  Has TTL metering really made that much of a
> difference?  (For $1000, I can live with my viewfinder for the 35mm.)

As it happens, my two bodies are an M3DS and an M6.  I do find myself using
the M6 far more than the M3, but that's because:

  - my most comfy-old-slipper focal-length is a 35mm

  - I sometimes use a 28mm

and

  - my M3 has a reportedly-unfixable vertical rangefinder misalignment which
    is kind of irritating.

Interesting, even though it's *nice* that the M6 has a meter, when I'm outside
I find myself using an incident meter instead of the in-camera one more than
half the time.  But maybe I'm just weird.

The M3DS wind-lever feel is just unequaled.  No, it doesn't have a thing to do
with how the pictures turn out.  But it's really really pleasing.  I always
cringe when I hear of folk "upgrading" doublestrokes to singlestrokes.

Clearly, the M3 is preferable in several ways if you spend most of your time
at 50mm and above.

The answer just isn't easy.  I suspect you'd miss your M3 if you let it go.
As they say in the rec.guns group when somebody's agonizing over a purchase,
"Buy 'em all!" :-)

- -J