Subject: M6 versus M3
From: Stephen Kobrin <kobrins@wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 16:58:47 -0400

should take advantage of the current discount and trade my M3 for a new
M6.  The M3 is an early DS, in fine shape recently serviced by DAG.
(This is not a sales pitch!)  It is a pleasure to use and built like a
brick.  However, I would really like to have TTL metering and be able to
use a 35mm lens without either "eyes" or a viewfinder.   The catch is
that even with the current discount, I suspect it would require somewhere
around $1000 after selling the M3 to make the trade.  (Keeping the M3 if
I get an M6 is not an option.)

While I realize that none of you guys can tell me if it would be worth it
for me,  the experience of any one who has moved from an earlier M to the
M6 might be helpful.  Has TTL metering really made that much of a
difference?  (For $1000, I can live with my viewfinder for the 35mm.)  My
guess is that it would be a lot faster than either my MR meter or a hand
held.  It would be nice not to see my wife's eyes roll every time I pull
the camera out when we are hiking.  Is it more accurate?  I find that I
am OK most of the time even with chromes with either meter. For careful
work with B&W, I would still use my spotmeter, even with the M6.  I would
not have to abandon classic Leicas as I have a IIIf  I use a great deal.
Any help would be appreciated.

One other question:  How firm are the advertised prices?  Is $1995 it or
will dealers deal when you actually get there with plastic in hand??

Steve

</bigger></fontfamily>