Subject: Re: Leica Projector
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 97 17:35:22 -0400

>All right, I'll bite (especially since I'm not a proud Prodovit owner).
>Although construction of Leica projectors is top rate, why would anyone
>want a system that uses those flaky European trays? I had a Zeiss projector
>once, and one tipped tray with slides all over the floor forever convinced
>me. I believe that the maximum in one tray is 40 slides, and you had better
>hold it within a few degrees of vertical or be ready to play 40-pickup.

Gary,

I use the European trays and like them. They are much more compact than
carousels. The trays come in 30 and 50 sizes for either cardboard or
glass mounts, and in 80 for cardboard mounts only. Although you can spill
them, I don't have a problem with this. There is (or used to be) a tray
that had a little barb on each partition, which prevents spilling. I
believe that Leitz made these special trays.

IMHO, the size of the trays is not a big issue. You can keep sliding a
new tray in right behind the previous one, with hardly any interruption
(unlike changing a carousel).

The trays that I have are all 50s, and I like the way their little
storage drawers fit together to form a filing cabinet. I can keep about
200 slides in less space that one 80 carousel would take up. (I use a lot
of glass mounts, so I use the 50 trays and would have to use 80
carousels.) If you use cardboard mounts, you could use the 80 straight
trays and have 320 slides in the space of one carousel). Also, if you
store slides in the tray, you need to put carousels into their carboard
boxes to keep dust off them; these are awkward to store and sort through,
and are no competition for the convenience of the little storage drawers
for straight trays. I got rid of my carousel projector and carousels
about 20 years ago.

>Actually, I do admit to owning a Leica projector - an old VIII-S with
>Hektor 8.5cm f2.5 lens. It is an unusual model with a large fan base (not
>water cooled) that the projector sits on. The serial number is A192 (any
>collector comments?) Slide trays are definitely not an issue!

Have you ever seen the old Leitz Automatic Continuous Projector
Attachment? It looks like a giant Kodak Disk Camera disk (remember
those?). That was an accessory for the VIII-S projector. Its main section
was a large, rotating disk, which held 12 glass-mounted slides against
its surface, around its circumference, with little clips. There is an
aperture cut in the disk behind the place for each slide. The unit was
used for automated presentations; it had an electric motor, and was
adjusted via a rheostat to set the duration of each slide from 10 to 60
seconds. Just think--automated projection of TWELVE SLIDES!

- - Paul