Subject: Leica CL
From: Fasi Peter <Fasi_PP@exchange.phs.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 11:18:34 -0700

I too own a Leica CL. I love it because it is the most portable
'professional' camera that I own. I have never been disappointed with
the images produced.

The comments I read in the digest do have some merit. I bought the
camera in 1976, when it first came on the market. It was the only Leica
that I could afford to buy brand new, then. The rangefinder went out of
whack within a few weeks. I sent it back to Leica for repair, since it
was within the warranty period, even though I had neglected to mail back
the registration card. Leica sent me a brand new camera. No other
manufacturer has ever done that.

After twenty years, the meter is now 3 stops off. Part of that may be
due to the incompatibility with the meter mechanism and the new alkaline
replacements for the mercury tabs. In any case, I no longer use the
meter. I've learned to guesstimate pretty good after all this time. I
plan to get a small Gossen Pilot meter to throw into the camera bag, on
those occasions that I think it's necessary.

I don't expect everything to last forever, and a lot of the griping I
see posted in the digest seems to suggest that others do. No mechanical
device is free from defects. Given the price one pays for Leica
equipment, it is understandable that the expectations are high.

Some postings I've seen listed have indicated that it is nearly
impossible to get the CL repaired in the future. If anyone has the
address/phone number of a repair shop that can still repair the camera,
I would appreciate it.

Peter J. Fasi