Subject: Re: Wisdom from the Usenet!
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 23:19:17 -0800

Dan Cardish wrote:

> Finally, Mr. Fisher did make one valid point, though I think he greatly
> over exagerated it.  It is that there IS a problem with the rangefinder
> easily going out of wack in the M6 (at least it has in mine, and I hear
> others on the LUG complaining about it).  I am always fearfull when driving
> along a bump road with my M6 that the alignment will be thrown off.  It has
> happened too many times, both vertical AND distance.  Easy to fix, but a
> nuisance nontheless.  Didn't someone recently post a letter from Solms
> where Leica actually ADMITTED that they have not been able to solve this
> problem of the rangefinder?  This after 40 years of M manufacturing, and
> decades more in general rangefinder construction for their screw mount
> cameras?

Dan--All this complaining about m-system RF going off is a little
silly   I`ve had more problem SLRs going off than Leica RF

my Nikons have had to go to shop    my Pentax 67s (and other
photographer`s too that I have known) have had problems     All for out
of alignment focusing screens   Not uncommon at all

One of my studio mates had a Hassy system that went out      He borrowed
other studio mates hassy system and began replacing parts     As long as
he had any part--body lens or back that was his then focus out of
alignent      He finally sent it off to Hasselblad and they couldn`t
figure it out either and sent it back unfixed     He finally in
frustration (and a reshoot of a CD album cover in mexico) sold it off in
pieces and bought all new

So obviously Hassy Nikon or Pentax 67 are also not acceptable for
`professional` work according to our rec/dot/idiot poster

We backup computers  get our cars tuned up   so why would cameras be any
different?

Donal Philby
Kauai Hawaii