Subject: Re: Focusing SLR vs M
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 08:38:04 -0500

At 12:19 AM 10/1/97 -0400, you wrote:
>first. If you have an isolated subject, I can't see any way that you
>would automatically know which way to turn the lens.
>
>On a rangefinder camera, however, the offset of the rangefinder patch
>always tells you if you are too close or too far away.

Experience. That's how. And if you don't have some physical reason,
focusing with an SLR is going to be faster, in most cases, as long as your
focus isn't way off to start with. How long does it take to reverse
direction? I've used R and M cameras, and find the R system to be much
quicker to respond with. The M, though, it more accurate with wide angle
lenses. Tradeoffs.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now