Subject: Re: Off topic:help on enlarger
From: Jim Zietz <jzietz@unix1.sncc.lsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:51:52 -0500

>Eric Welch wrote:
>
>But my all time favorite it the one native to the V35, the 40mm 2.8
>> Focotar. I have prints made with it that are much better than with Rodagon
>> and Schneider APO lenses I've used in rental darkrooms. Not necessarily
>> sharper, mind you - just like Leica's camera lenses. Just different.

My guess is that the main reason the prints with the focotar were better
than the prints with the Rodagons or Componons was that the Focomat
enlarger has a very nicely designed film carrier that has anti-newton glass
on the top to keep the negative FLAT.

Most enlargers don't take this into consideration. All of the Leica
enlargers I have used (Valoy II, Focomat 1c, Focomat V35) have some means
of keeping the negative flat, just like the pressure plate in the camera
does.

On a side-by-side test between a Focomat V35 with the Focotar 40 against a
Durst L1200 with an Apo-Rodagon 50, I found the Rodagon to be a bettter
performing lens at higher magnifications. I was making 16x20 Ilfochrome
prints. The Durst enlarger is also set up with the piece of glass to keep
the film flat. The Durst had a higher light output, which really helps with
large Ilfochrome prints.

But I still love the Focomat V35, and it is too bad Leica stopped making
it. Maybe they will have something new coming out.