Subject: Re: Who use Leica in the world?
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 17:58:49 +0500

At 11:06 PM 97-09-28 -0800, you wrote:
>Ian
>I`ve always wondered how those two make a living from Nepal    I do
>appreciate their work--what dedication     If you have met them could
>you give us your impressions of them as people and how they work
>
>Donal Philby
>Kauai Hawaii

Hello Donal,

	I have talked to Eric a few times (asking an opinion on the M6 metering
before I bought my new one) but know Diane much better and talk to her
quite regularly.  They have managed to make themselves quite well known
with their articles in National Geographic and their numerous books on
Nepal and area.  Lately they have also branched out into film (one done in
Thailand), either doing their own projects or working with other groups
coming into the country to film.  Having knowledgeable people in Nepal can
be an incredible asset to any project whether it is photography or film.
They also spend quite a bit of time in France.

	I haven't had the opportunity to work with either of them but may do some
printing of old large format b&w negatives for her if we can convince the
owner to part company with them for awhile.  She is easy going and
interesting to chat with and we cover a wide range of topics and even
occasionally get around to photography.  She always seems to have a
multitude of projects underway and is coming up with new ideas all the time.

	How's Hawaii?  That's one place I have never made it to yet but it is on
my list.  Our favourite vacation spot is in Krabi Province of Thailand
where we spend our time at a nice secluded beach that is only accessible by
boat.  Bungalows are available as well as a few restaurants but the place
is not crowded or too touristy.  There is even a nudist section at one end
of the beach - the perfect place for an all over tan.  Where going back
this December for the fourth year in a row.

Ian Stanley

Kathmandu, Nepal