Subject: Re: shops in London and Munich
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 08:45:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Patrick G. Sobalvarro wrote:

> At 07:49 AM 9/26/97 +0200, Alfred Breull wrote:
> >Hi Patrick:
> >
> >I've been in Munich some years ago, but never found a friendly photo shop
> >during 3 y. There is a shop, which sometimes has some old Leica gear on 150%
> >of the usual German prices at 30 to 50 meters from the Marienplatz (in the
> >small street directly at the book shop "Hugendubel"). But the owner is
> >unfriendly also. You cannot miss the Marienplatz. It's, where all the
> >tourists meet.
> >
> Thanks, Alf, for your reply.  I got another reply (in private email) from a
> LUG member who also said that the prices he saw in Munich recently were not
> very competitive.  I guess it's a little discouraging, but I presume there
> will be plenty of interesting things to do besides visiting shops.

No matter where you go you'll find greedy shop owners. In New York City
prices for used Leicas and lenses can be honest, even when the items
are in perfect shape, like new, excellent, etc. But there are also shops
where the marked prices of junk Leicas are two to three times what
they should be. I asked one shop owner why this is so. He told me that
someone might just pay it. In NYC it's best to go to shops that are
recomended by fellow Leica users. The good ones will even exchange
an item if you change your mind a week later, new and used. Also, when
a nonrecommended shop gives a guarentee it might mean to his satisfaction,
not yours. This means that if a used item isn't working correctly
the item doesn't necessarily get fixed by the proper repair station.
Sometimes I buy equipment knowing it's not working properly. If I
can convince the shop owner to lower the price accordingly, then I
might buy it and send it for repair and overhaul to a proper repair-
person. Then I get the item I want and know it's working perfectly.
Ed Meyers