Subject: Re:Proven moon exposures
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 18:04:32 -0400

Jim Brick wrote:

> At 11:05 PM 9/25/97 -0700, I wrote:
> >
> >Proven moon exposures:
> >
> >Full moon, clear night, sea level, =sunny 16. Same at altitude, no lights
> >reflecting in the local atmosphere, basically no local atmosphere =sunny
> >22. Quarter moon =+3 stops. Thin crescent =+5 stops. Ref: "Astrophotography
> >for the Amateur" by Michael Covington.
> >
> >Jim
> >

> I should add some explanation. The full moon is 100% bright, no dark part,
> except the man-in-the-moon's face :-) . Like a photographer with the sun at
> your back. No shadows.

<Snip>

Sorry if off topic but since we're working this lunar exposure thing I
was wondering how NASA had the astronauts calculate exposure for the
lunar landings. Certainly, sunny 16 does not apply since there is no
atmosphere. And, I don't believe, the Lunar Hasselblads had built-in
metering. I welcome the knowledgeable responses of the LUG. Again, sorry
that this is off topic. But, knowledge is knowledge.

Carl S.