Subject: [drifted off-topic]Re: I stepped in the Pookie! -> the unwashed
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 14:44:59 -0400

Roger Beamon wrote:
> I'm about convinced that Usenet exists for the purpose
> of making us appreciate the dedicated mailing lists.
>
> Pity, too, because it was real good a few years ago. Seems that once
> the unwashed masses get into something, it goes to Hell quickly.

A friend claims to have improved the signal-to-noise ratio of his personal
view of Netnews to levels comparable with a decade ago by the simple expedient
of configuring his newsreader's killfile such that he never even sees postings
from:

  - people on AOL

  - people who use Mozilla (Netscape) or Microsoft Internet Explorer to read
    or post news.

A pretty effective set of unwashed-filtering rules, those.