Subject: Re: Interview questions-off topic sort of.
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 12:05:05 +0200

At 01:55 23.09.1997 -0400, Ted wrote:
>Ed Meyer wrote:
>
><<<<the editor of a large newspaper would probably be a sort of government
>representative in that neck of the woods.>>>>
>
><<<<<The questions asked are usually setups. They know the answers, but
>want to make the visitors feel good.>>>>>

>Without going into this any deeper I thought I might as well let you know
>that my wife also thought all the questions were dumb!  So when I showed
>her your response to my original posting she agreed with you.:)

- --- snip

Your present discussion covers one aspect only - and even not an important
one. Most feature stuff is known already before asking. But, no matter
whether it's in the US or in China, you always need an actual event and/ or
a person to cite. Otherwise it's no story. Additionally, the editor has the
chance, that the interviewed person might give a stupid or embarrassing
answer, which undoubtly increases the value of a story.

Your present argument does neither explain the success of dumb stuff, e.g.
talkshows, nor does it justify to take pix of a scenery/ object which
everybody has seen hundred times before. Why do you think, each and every
year Yosemite Park, the Pyramids, the "Wall" etc. has been and is
photographed by millions of persons, although you can buy better postcards
every 10 meters ?

>So I owe you a beer and an apology! :)

In my mind, you owe a beer to everybody who answered on your questions, and
a second one additionally, from both of you this time, because of the recent
arguments.

I drink Pilsener.

Alf