Subject: ASPH boke
From: Eric Meyer <74415.1305@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 14:24:55 -0400

To:  >INTERNET:Leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Jeff Moore wrote:
  >> has anyone had the opportunity to observe the out-of-focus image
  >> characteristics of the new 35mm Summicron ASPH?

     My own impression is that the new 35/2 ASPH has very pleasant
boke, not at all "jangly" (distracting double-vision etc).  Based on
casual comparisons such as the one you mention, I find its boke not
quite as soft or understated as with the previous 35/2; if you
really love just that look I suppose you might want to stick with
it.  But the ASPH is very nice in its own way.
     One does hear less satisfying things about out-of-focus areas
with the f/1.4 ASPH (which I haven't used), but the Summicron ASPH
seems to be a rather different lens.  (See also Erwin Puts' report
on differences in center vs edge sharpness etc.)

              -- Eric Meyer.