Subject: Re: Noctilux & Kodak T400CN
From: chris@chrismorrow.com (Christoper Morrow)
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:47:01 -0400

At 12:03 AM -0400 on 9/19/97, Richard Clompus wrote:

> Dear Fellow LUGnuts,
>
> I was able to lecture in San Francisco two weekends ago and took along my
> M6 with a Noctilux/1.0 and a supply of Kodak T400CN.  I shot three rolls
> using all available light (or better described as available darkness).
> There is a great blues club on the top floor of the Intercontinental Hotel.
>  I took most shots using f1.0 and a few at f 1.4.  You can almost feel the
> music coming through the film.  The Noctilux combined with this new film is
> a match made in heaven.  Highlights are well controlled with shadow detail
> preserved.  The combination handles the high levels of contrast with stage
> lighting very well.  Also got some shots of a friend and his new daughter.
> Images appear to be grainless - no doubt due to the chromogenic film.  The
> little bit of vignetting around the edges simply frames the subject better.
>
> Another great photo opportunity in San Francisco was at the Buena Vista.
> This is a bar/restaurant along the waterfront that specializes in Irish
> coffee and various foods.  They claim they invented Irish coffee almost 100
> years ago.  The bartender lines up about 25 glasses along the bar, pours in
> hot water to warm the glasses, then coffee, irish wiskey and cream.  The
> photos are a real lessen in depth of field.  You can count the number of
> glasses in front of and behind the plane of focus.
>
> My favorite photo equipment combination is this new Kodak chromogenic film
> and the Noctilux.  The M6 is simply a tool to hold the lens and advance the
> film.

Richard,

Your note makes me want to go right out and buy a Noctilux (what with all
this talk about which one is better), buy a roundtrip to San Francisco (one
of my all-time favorite places), and do some photography. Instead I'll go
out and have a capuchino and start saving my dollars for the Noctilux.

I have over 30 rolls of the Kodak T400CN sitting next to me, so I'm all set
on that score.

Christopher Morrow

chris@chrismorrow.com           (Fall foliage is coming to the Finger Lakes)