Subject: Re: Film flatness (2)
From: "captyng" <captyng@vtx.ch>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:36:14 +0200

At 03:51 PM 17/09/1997 -0400, you wrote:
><<
> Maybe Leica figures that the new owners of M6 cameras tend to
> hold them tight and therefore end up squeezing a little. I'm
> sure that there is a tolerance, but I cannot believe that they
> would make the camera fatter and beyond the tolerance. Ed
>   >>
> Ed - 1/100 of a mm is only .00004"  - that's about 1/10 of the
>thickness of a human hair.  Most machinists work to +/- .0001.
>
>Marvin

Leica Solms bought some years ago from Deckel (the same people that made
Prontor shutters) NC equipment that machines with 1/1.000 mm tolerance. One
of the reasons was to produce the bronze distance cam in the back of the
Leica-M lenses in one go, dispensing with the final manual adjustment
process. Another reason was to make prototype parts directly from the
computer files produced by the design people on their HP CAD/CAM system.

Gerard Captijn.