From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 12:42:30 -0400

Damiandlu@aol.com writes:
> With  reference to the ongoing thread of "Leica glow" / "bokeh"[...]

Ah.  This discussion (inevitable in light of that magazine article) must have
been going on before I joined.  Is this list archived anywhere such that I may
read previous traffic and avoid boring everyone by inadvertently bringing up
topics which have already had all the juice wrung from them?

My question, though, is this:  has anyone had the opportunity to observe
the out-of-focus image characteristics of the new 35mm Summicron ASPH?  I see
no mention of that particular aspect at the most interesting

    http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/m/lenses/pages/l11879.html

...I had the opportunity a few months ago to borrow a friend's 35mm Summilux
ASPH, and compare it exceedingly informally with my accustomed Summicron
(non-ASPH).  As it happened, a photo I particularly like was taken with that
lens, although I sort of wish the other lens had been on the camera at the time.
The picture was taken pretty-wide-open, probably f/2, and while stuff in the
plane of focus is tack-sharp, some out-of-focus leaves in the background have a
kind of jarring, "jangly" quality (doubled, improbably-hard-for-out-of-focus
edges and the like).  Now I'd really like to do some more organized photogeek
explorations of these characteristics.

- -Jeff