Subject: Re: Leica in Hollywood & in court
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 08:55:25 -0400

At 11:44 PM 9/16/97 -0500, Eric Welch wrote:
>Anyway, now 52 states allow cameras in the courtrooms here in the U.S. and
>none of them require Leicas, though some require blimps.

Wow!  52 states out of 50!  In any event, Virginia effectively bars cameras
from the courtroom -- I've done two trials in my career which were filmed,
and both were videotaped from outside the courtroom -- there are cameras
mounted on the ceilings but the actual film crew have to remain in a
separate room.  That's as close as we come, and that is only on the rarest
of occasions, in the most minor of proceedings.

In other words, the judges will bar cameras of any sort, even videotaping,
if the trial is deemed important.  And no one wants to videotape the little
stuff, so we almost never get to that middle ground which has some media
interest, but where the Court feels comfortable in allowing taping.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!