Subject: Re: Zeiss on my Leica
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 07:39:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Eric Welch wrote:

> At 06:52 PM 9/16/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >At 11:18 AM 9/16/97 -0500, Eric Welch wrote:
> >>Be careful with that! Will McBride says they're rather delicate lenses.
> >

> >"Delicate"?  Howso?
>
> He wrote in one of his books that they broke so often he used to buy
> several at a time to put on his Leicaflexes.
>
> =============
> Eric Welch
> St. Joseph, MO
> Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

If he's the Will McBride I met in 1958 or 59 and then in Germany
in the 1970s, I don't wonder that he breaks lenses. He's very
physical when he photographs. You must get out of his way or
you'll be knocked down. in the late 60s or early 1970s he came to
New York and did a photo shoot in the studio at the School of
Visual Arts, where I still teach. Students observed him shooting
with his extreme wide-angle, up-close approach.
He's a very talented photographer and very controversal.
Will was a good friend of Bob Schwalberg when Bob lived in
Germany.
The 20mm f/4 Flectagon we're discussing does stick out more
than most lenses and could easily be damaged if bumped. I'm
just careful. In fact I'm using a second one I have in a
360 degree panorama camera of the Larscan/Erickson type.
It's performing beautifully. I get an image of 360 degrees in
a 5-inch length of film. Ed Meyers