Subject: Re: real aperture of Noctilux
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:29:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997 Leikon35@aol.com wrote:

>  If by real you mean the actual Transmission (T stop) rather than the
> computed (focal length divided by diameter) then those figures sound
> reasonable.  Even with the best of coatings, there is always a minor
> transmission loss.  Years ago, marking the actual "T" stop on the lens
> was tried but somehow no one really was interested.
> Marvin Moss
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  << >Subject: 	real aperture of Noctilux
>  >I've read on a book about Leicas the real aperture of the Noctilux 50/1 is
>  >1.17 and the real one of the 50/1.2 is 1.3.
>  >Can anybody confirm that?
>  >
>  >Thanks in advance
>  >
>  >Ernesto
>  > >>

It probably does not apply in this case but I have been told
that the T stop, such as used by Bell and Howell in their famous
motor drive 35mm camera of the 50s (60s?), had a basic problem.
It is a measure of the actual light being transmitted by the
lens, but it also includes the flare light, not just the
imageing rays. In the old days lenses produced a lot of flare
light. Not the case today. Ed