Subject: Re: Summicron 35mm f/2,0.
From: Pascal MEHEUT <pascal@murex.fr>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 13:07:55 +0200

> Pascal,
>
> I'm interested in getting the 35/2.0 asp. really soon but I want to know
> how is the out of focus background of this lens compared to the 35/2.0
> summicron m ? is the bokeh smooth and creamy ?
>
> Is this 35/2 asp. much bigger in size and weight than the regular summicron
> M ? When stopped down to 4-5.6 can u tell difference bet. the asph. and
> non-asph ?
>
> thanks,
>
> Ferdinand

I'm not especially concerned by the bokeh but the 35mm/f2 ASPH gives
me the leica "look and feel" I like. Maybe other LUGers will be able
to answer more precisely to this question.

It is slightly bigger than the regular summicron, but still very
compact. Enough to wear it on the M6 under your coat. Better, the new
hood with its cover it perfect because you can let it on the lens all
the time.

Before I had the 35/f2 ASPH, I had the 35mm/1.4 ASPH which I didn't
use all the time because I found it too big, especially compared with
my summicron. But the 1.4 ASPH was clearly better wide open.

So, I've sold both of them and bought the 35mm/f2 ASPH which gives me
excellent optical quality wide open and is compact.

To answer to your last question, I don't see any difference at F5.6 or
f8. Maybe it is noticeable at F4 but I'm not sure.

- --
					Pascal Meheut
					pascal@murex.fr