Subject: Re: cleaning marks
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 00:38:03 -0400 (EDT)

<<
  Is there something I'm missing ?  Are 'cleaning marks' in the coating or
the glass ?  If in the coating, would it be feasible to send it to Mr.. Van
Stelten and have it recoated ?  Economically  realistic ?
 tom

 Jo & Tom -
      In modern lenses, most cleaning marks are in the coating of the front
 element,  particularily on the early 50/2 Summicrons.
      Jon Van Stelten does an excellent job of removing the old coating,
 polishing and applying the newest flouride coating to the front surface
 for about $100.  Over half of the old Summicrons that I have seen
 have some degree of cleaning marks on them but it doesnt always hurt
 the performance.