Subject: Re: No meter? Salgado !
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 01:04:16 -0500

At 10:12 AM 9/9/97 -3, you wrote:
>Hello, all
>
>It's a widely known fact in Brazil that Sebasti=E3o Salgado (brazilian)=20
>uses Leica cameras and ...No meter!

What makes this a fact? An R6 has a meter, and why in the world would he
use an M5 if he didn't want a meter?

>Well, with a standard film, standard processing and experience, it's=20
>quite easy to guess the time/aperture combination in a "normal"=20
>environment. But what about those foggy backlights in very early=20
>morning or late afternoon we can see in "Workers"and in "Terra"? And=20
>the tricky ones, like inside factories, in oil drills, or inside poor=20
>wooden houses?

>Is it a trend among photojournalists? I mean, no meter, faster=20
>pictures...

This is not a trend, and in fact is not likely true. You don't get faster
pictures with or without a meter. Salgado does a lot of waiting for his
pictures, since he does not manipulate the situation. He waits for decisive
moments to happen. Lots of time to meter, and even when he doesn't have
time, metering is quite fast nowadays.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO