Subject: Re: Alf, Dali & Renoir
From: ABreull@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 13:48:50 -0400 (EDT)

In einer eMail vom 09.09.1997  09:45:01, schreiben Sie:

> Tell me the truth Alf - what is your profession? Certainly
> you are not a photographer.  Are you a preacher or more likely
> a school teacher.

Have en-Joy-ed to read your letter !

After six years of "camera & out" street journalism as both, editor and
freelancer (during the last 2 years in Germany's/ Europe's biggest daily
newspaper), I studied psychology (mathematics, and physics) and have now a
not so low position in a German Medical University, analysing and publishing
surveys < smile > or clinical reports most of the time.

While I "shot" winners (seldom), loosers (more often), and victims (most) for
not so little money, my photographic view changed over the years to more
tenderness and softness.

The pix I always preferred have to be "touching", and emotional "tight" or
"tense" (sorry, I don't know the correct english phrase). So, it's probably
not surprising, that I like e.g. Weegee's hard sex & crime pix as much as
Robert Lebeck's tender war child pix, or pix from Paul Fusco, Will McBride,
HCB, Ansel Adams (landscapes), Jean Loup Sieff, Helmut Newton (early phase),
and even some of Sarah Moon and Guy Bourdance, while e.g. M'thorpe's - not to
speak of Hamilton's - views/ fingerprints are absolutely boring and too
artificial for me. Does it answer your question?

Alf