Subject: Re: 90 Tele-Elmarit-M Probs
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 10:08:24 -0700

Eric Meyer wrote:

> To:  >INTERNET:Leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>
>      If a lens fogging problem with 90mm T-E's "was discussed some
> time ago on LUG", then I missed it.  Is there any consensus as to a
> serial number range for affected lenses, or is the (potential)
> problem common to them all?

There are two stories out there, the lube problem vs the "bad glue"
problem.  I believe they are both describing the same thing--the lube
story describing the cause and the glue story describing the effect. .
I personally  believe Chatterton's lube version, which means probably
all 90/2.8 tele-elmarits have the potential to self destruct.  Whether
the condition is agravated by humidity, heat or whatever, is unknown.
There is no "consensus" opinion, in fact some people will deny the
problem exists.  After I learned what to look for, I have seen three of
them over the past year.

The only "cure" if you believe this scenario as I do, is to have it
relubed with synthetic grease, which I did with mine.

> Can one reasonably suppose that a lens
> that still looks fine today is likely to remain so?  I have one that
> I like very much, and shows no problems, so I'd like to know whether
> I need to add "yet".

How lucky do you feel?  Once it starts, the lens is dead.  I view the
relube cost as very inexpensive insurance.

Regards,

Stephen Gandy