Subject: Re: Best film (slide and regular) for M3
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 02:05:08 -0400

Dave Topper wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think I've asked a hundred people the following questions, but am
> still no closer to any answers.  I'll try again.
>
> I am a novice photographer who has been fortunate enough to inherit a
> Lecia M3.  It is currently in the capable hands of Sherry Krauter, who
> is doing a CLA and lens overhaul.  It is costing me the requisite
> "dues"
> to have the job done right, but I have some strong beliefs on the
> aesthetic of quality.  I'm sure many on this group do.  'nuff said.
>
> Anyhow, I am really curious as to good types of file, both slide and
> regular, that I should use in the camera.  I feel strange about taking
> pictures with such a fine, precision instrument, then taking my roll
> of
> Kodak Gold down to the local Pathmark.  Kind of like taking a Ferrari
> Midas.
>
> So ... any tips?  Please email me directly if you can.
>
> Thanks,
>
> DT
> --
> David Topper (me)
> Research Assistant
> Columbia University Center for Computer Music
> Student of Computer Music, Science, Art & Life
> http://www.panix.com/~topper

Dave,

If you really want to follow in the proudest of Leica traditions black &
white is the only way to go. I use TMAX 400 and am thoroughly delighted
with results. Since you're in NYC you should have no problem finding
labs that can handle black & white at a high quality level. The rest of
it, regardless of film, follows that classic bit of advice in answer to
the question of "how do I get to Carnegie Hall?" Go use your camera and
become one with it like a musician with his instrument so that you go
beyond it. Enjoy.