Subject: Re: Rewind lever jam with M-winder
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 16:57:35 -0600

At 08:34 AM 08/09/97 -0400, you wrote:
>At 02:16 PM 9/6/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>I posted this message about a week ago with no replies.  Can someone please
>>offer some suggestions?
>>>I am finding that my M6 is jamming at the end of bulk-loaded rolls when
>>>using a winder.  The lever used to engage the rewind mechanism is very
>>>difficult to move.  When it finally does give, (after requiring more force
>>>than when the winder is not used) the gears make a grinding sound.  Has
>>>anyone else experienced this? Is it normal or does it indicate a problem of
>>>some sort?
>>>   I never know when I get to the last frame on my bulk loaded rolls,
>>>because I am not sure exactly how many frames I get per load, even though
>>>my bulk loader has a frame counter on it.
>>>
>>-GH
>>
>GH:  This happens when you load too much film in the film cannister.  The
>camera has problems loading it all back it.  Pay attention when you load the
>film and don't try to squeeze in a few extra frames - 40 seems to be the
>maximum that will reload without jamming.  Good luck - Tina

That may be the problem, but what I think seems to be happening is that the
winder is trying to advance the last frame, and the film reaches the end of
the spool when it has been wound on part of the way, without fully cocking
the shutter.  I have had it happen with less than full rolls, like 24
frames in a cassette.
   So, there it is, part cocked (half cocked?) in that state.  Then when
the rewind lever is moved, the weird grinding sound occurs.
   You are right though.  I could avoid the problem by bulk loading about
40 frames, and watching my frame counter carefully (provided that it
works!) to make sure I do not go beyond the 36th frame.  Sometimes though,
I get so caught up with the subject matter I am shooting that I loose track
of how many frames are left in the roll.
   Otherwise, the winder and camera body are working just fine, and do not
seem to require any repairs.

- -GH