Subject: Nikon E Series
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 09:37:07 -0700

>  Leikon35 wrote:
>
> >I don't know if it is true or not, but I have heard that the very
> >inexpensive Nikkor "E" lenses are optically the same as the
> >others, but have plastic mounts.
> >Any knowledgeable Nikon users out there?  Steve Gandy ?

The E series was Nikon's serious first attempt to produce inexpensive
lenses.  "Serious" attempt because after the first Nikon F lenses in
1959, Nikon generally sought to lower production costs (just like all
other manufacturers).   For example, most AIS lenses are of noticeably
cheaper construction than their AI predecessors.   Introduced as less
expensive lenses for the Nikon EM in 1979, the series consisted of the
28/2.8, 35/2.5, 50/1.8, 100/2.8, 135/2.8, 36-72/3.5, 75-150/3.5,
70-210/4.

Most of the  E series is a different focal length or F/stop than the
Nikkors of the time, except the 28/2.8, 50/1.8, and 135/2.8.   The
28/2.8 is reported by some to be the same optically as the first 28/2.8
AF, but personally I doubt it.   The 35/2.5  is the only such lens made
in F mount.   The 50/1.8 was not up to the 50/1.8 Nikkor optically, but
it did have the distinction of being the smallest and lightest weight 50
ever made for the F mount. .  The 100/2.8 was a delightful lens for
travel  because of its very small size (about the size of a regular 50)
but nowhere close to the legendary 105/2.5.   The only outstanding lens
of the E series is the 75-150.  Sharp.

The single focal lengths were not multi-coated.  The 75-150 was.  The
E's did not have the earlier metal prong meter coupling, but it could
be added by a repairman.   The E's were not much of a success in the
marketplace, and today all of the E's except the 50/1.8 are hard to find
(but certainly not collectible).   After the E's, Nikon resorted to
making less expensive lenses for the same market while still using the
regular Nikkor brand name.    The same idea is unfortunately carried on
by putting the Nikon name on point and shoots made by other
manufacturers.

Regards,

Stephen Gandy