Subject: Re: Japanese "M" mount
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 09:58:38 -0400 (EDT)

The interesting part of all these made-in-Japan lenses for the
Leica camera is that many years ago I was told the following, by
an E. Leitz, Wetzlar employee. "The big profits are made on the
lenses, not the cameras." It's something like Gillette selling the
razors at a very low profit so that they can make the profits
selling razor blades that fit the razor. I'll bet that many
people in Solmes are very nervous about this. Afterall, they
know just how many special edition cameras and lenses to make
to sell out to the collectors, and make profits doing it. With
competition, it's a whole new ballgame. Ed Meyers