Subject: RE: TriX / Microdol / Rodinal
From: Jack Milton <jmilton@agate.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 97 23:40:04 -0500

 I've used both developers with Tri-X and found that Microdol gives fine
grain, but less detail and sharpness because of its action on grain
edges. The high amount of sodium sulfite acts as a silver solvent and
dissolves the grain edges. This can be an advantage in certain types of
portrait photography, but I found the effect somewhat soft, even mushy.
D-76 also has a high concentration of sodium sulfite, but is a high
energy developer with shorter development times; therfore the
silver-solvent action is proportionally less.
 Rodinal is a high acutance developer and produces a sharp, edgy Tri-X
negative but with a very grainy look to it. I find it more suited to
slower, fine-grained films.
 For Tri-X I recommend Kodak HC-110, dilution B. It produces beautiful
tones, good shadow detail, and moderate to fine grain. Be sure not to
overdevelop; start at a time 15-20 percent less than recommended. Mix the
whole bottle at once, and store the resulting stock solution in small,
full bottles which will keep for some time. Dilute the reulting stock
solution 1:7 to get dilution B. It's almost impossible to consistently
measure and dilute the original heavy syrup-like HC-110 from its bottle.
 For the newer TMax 400 and 100 films, I've found that Kodak's TMax
developer works best. These films are extremely sensitive to changes in
development time, temperature, and agitation.
 A few years ago I tested several combinations of 100-125 speed black and
white films and developers and, to my surprise found that nothing came
close to TMax 100 and TMax developer in terms of effective film speed,
fine grain, and tonality. My previous favorite combo was Ilford FP4 and
Ilford Microphen.

- -Jack Milton
http://www.agate.net/~jmilton/index.html