Subject: Re: Bokeh
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 22:21:04 -0400

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 11:15 AM 9/3/97 +0100, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Simple question - why 'bokeh'?  I understand what it means, but where
> does
> >the word come from?
>
> It's Japanese for "out of focus" or something like that.

OK, sorry all LUGers who went through this before but... I think it was
Photo Techniques who did a series of articles not so much on lens
sharpness but "Bokeh" or that quality of unsharpness in the non-focused
area of an image. Apparently, the Japanese are sensitive to this quality
and the article articulates this quality as well as those lenses which
best exhibit it. While it is somewhat subjective, the article does give
some objective criteria to look for and to judge one's precious glass
by. Not surprisingly, Leica glass is referenced as having good "Bokeh".
For a complete working to death of the topic, retrieve some of the LUG
archives from earlier this year. The dialog was actually quite
informative.

Carl S.