Subject: Re: M6 problem "survey"
From: "Ferdinand U. LuDo" <fld@mozcom.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 06:56:24 +0800

>They are utterly unjustified.  Twenty-six cameras (out of how
>many made by Leica?) over eleven years of production, or six cameras
>over two years, do not constitute a statistically significant
>sample.  No conclusions about overall failure rates of Leicas can
>reliably be drawn from so small a basis.  Please stop trying.  If
>you want to make claims based on statistics, get meaningful ones --
>survey thousands of owners, or try to get the facts on repair rates
>from Leica service.

Eric,

Unfortunately only so much owners participated.

Yes, the results are not conclusive !

but still, for such a small group of people being survey, the failure rates
of the M cameras are high compared to other cameras.

And even myself was unfortunate to receive a new chrome M6, only to find
out upon opening a back, a piece of metal fell off which was part of the
frame counter. But still, I went ahead and bought one because I really
liked the lenses.

And yes I have stopped doing the survey since I myself found out that the
camera does have some quality control problems unfortunately !

I have bought several cameras over the years & sad to say, this is the
first time I bought a camera this expensive that failed me on the 1st day
it arrived @ my doorsteps !

But that did not stop me from purchasing one and beforehand the survey
clearly illustrated that there is a chance, maybe not 50% of getting one,
of getting a problematic one, and indeed I got it !

Regards

Ferdinand