Subject: Re: The Leica Challenge Cup! Playoff!
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 18:03:14 -0400

At 01:33 PM 01-09-97 -0800, you wrote:
>Dan Cardish wrote:
>
>> Also, I propose using colour film (Fuji Reala), though I could use B/W
>> (Tmax 100).
>
>Dan:
>
>Best and easiest would be transparency film such as Kodak E100.  The
>only variables might be that calibration of the aperatures and shutter
>speeds which might vary the exposure slightly.
>
>Donal Philby
>San Diego

Others have suggested transparency film as well.  Unfortunately, I'm not
about to have my three cameras calibrated just for this test, and without
careful calibration, random variances in shutter speeds and aperture
openings may have a significant effect on perceived picture quality.
Also, I am aware that some lenses are "warmer" or "cooler" than others, and
this may be a dead giveaway as to the picture's origin (unless I confuse
the issue by putting a "cold" film in the "warm" camera, and vice versa ;-)
).  Therefore,  I will use Fuji Reala 100 print film, printed full frame
(or almost so), and individually colour and density balanced at the
printing stage to make them as identical as possible.  If people can only
distinguish lenses from detailed minutiae obtained by studying hugely
magnified sections, or the original film itself, this largely proves my
original assertion.

I am really trying to see if people can distinguish a Leica image made
under normal shooting circumstances (eg, lens opening about f8) from others
merely by studying a normal book sized photograph.  I also want the test to
be as simple as possible.  If a null result is obtained, at least a certain
limit will be established as to which circumstances will enable a leica
lens to outshine a competitors, or vice versa (god forbid!).  On the other
hand, maybe everyone will be able to spot the leica picture with their eyes
closed, so there will be no need for further testing!

Also, I should word the question in the same manner that Pepsi worded their
Pepsi Challenge question; not which picture was taken with the Leica, but
which image appears most pleasing to the eye.  Just a thought.  Maybe
everyone can spot the differences, but will prefer the Minolta image!
(again, if there is a god....;-)  )

Dan C.