Subject: Re: Paparazzi &Princess Di
From: paulwink@juno.com (Paul T Winkfield)
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 11:55:49 -0400

On Sun, 31 Aug 1997 17:40:26 -0500 Chuck Warman <cwarman@wf.net> writes:
>What do some of the pros on the LUG think of the proposal to protect
>celebrities from these vermin (who doubtless shoot with Leica - to
>keep us
>on topic)?

It's sad this happened, but since I'm American, we have 1st Amendment
rights. To blame the photogs for this is also bad/sad; there was no
reason to drive so fast in that  tunnel!! If I was the driver, I would
have simply called the police and continue to  drive at legal speed -
after all you can't outrun a motorcycle!! ..I'd .even tell  my passengers
to 'smile we're on camera!'

I would also recommend a movie named 'Shoot' em!' an independent film
made a few years ago about the working  paparazzi in the States.  I would
not go around calling them nasty names, (vermin one writer used) We all
want to know how the 'rich and famous' live their daily lives.

As for Leica, remember the first famous foto taken  of a man who was
electrocuted for some crime? the press was not allowed to bring their
cameras (those big old'  Large format) the photog hid a 'tiny' Leica in
his coat and was the ONLY one who got the picture!!! It put Leica on the
map as THE camera to use for recording life.

I don't remember the person who made this quote about using Leica, but it
went - you're walking the street and see a beautiful woman (in red dress)
at the phone booth, you take your Leica and with a 90mm lens and take the
picture.

In many writings about the Leica, it is mentioned that  you 'steal' the
photograph, the Leica is quiet, fast, invisible. On many assignments my
Leica captured life that  other cameras could not.

Let's say some official decide to attempt laws to stop 'stalking'  does
that mean that if I'm walking the street and see a pretty person and want
to photograph them that I must ask first? or if said person notice me
that they'll call police and can have me arrested? This is too mind
boggling!

(as I write this it's found the driver was not a professional, and very,
VERY DRUNK!!!)

I find this a very sad affair.....
<paul>